2013 Bar Exams Will Be 80% Essay & 20% Multiple Choice

According to the Supreme Court (SC), 80 percent of the question will be made up of essay type questions rather than multiple choice in  Bar Examination for 21013.

Based on Bar Bulletin No. 1, the SC revealed that the Bar Exams will be held on the four Sundays of October 2013, would consist of 20 percent multiple choice questions (MCQ) and the rest are essay-type questions. The 80-percent essay portion, will be divided into eight divisions of 10 points each, with a maximum of two facts per division from which questions will be drawn. While MCQ portion of the exam will be divided into four or five fact situation from which the MCQs shall be asked. 

In last year's examinations, MCQ comprised 60 percent of the total questions, while only the remaining 40 percent comprised the essay type.

"The corresponding weight of each question shall properly be indicated in the questionnaire, together with estimated answering time, to allow the examinee proper allotment of his or her exam time," the SC added.

"Whether MCQ or essay, the questions shall be based on a given set of facts, presented as briefly but as clearly and completely as possible, taking into account that every examinee needs reading, understanding, consideration of the applicable law, and answering time for every question," the SC said.

Schedule & Program for BAR Exam would be as follows:

October 6:
8 a.m. - 12 noon - Political Law
2 p.m. - 6 p.m.  - Labor Law

October 13:
8 a.m. - 12 noon - Civil Law
2 p.m. - 6 p.m.  - Taxation

October 20:
8 a.m. - 12 noon - Commercial Law
2 p.m. - 6 p.m.  - Criminal Law

October 27:  
8 a.m. - 12 noon - Remedial Law
2 p.m.  - 6 p.m  - Legal Ethics

The examinations, which will be held at the University of Santo Tomas in Manila.

The high court said the Office of the Bar Confidant, which handles administrative matters connected to the exam, can be reached via landline (5257929; 5268122; 5268119),  cellular  phone (09088864293; and e-mail (baroffice@sc.judiciary.goy.ph).


Leave your Messages / Comments